Adventure with us as we travel the country in search of history, great scenery, mass quantities of wild life, disc golf courses, microbreweries, fun people and some awesome campgrounds to park our home on wheels. We also hope to do a lot of dispersed camping in the Southwest as well. There will be sunny days and there will be cloudy days but a day without laughter is a day wasted!! ROLL ON!!

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Newfoundland with Amazing Friends


Going, going, gone to the sunset & hotel in Sidney and on to Newfoundland which was the whole reason for this crazy trip.  Of course, we got to visit lots of family and friends along the way which is always a given when we travel.  If we missed visiting some of you, we will catch up with you eventually.  We are not that easy to get rid of.


We arrived for the ferry early so we hung out at a park with great visuals of the boats.  We had some lovely down time and a picnic here as well.  We met a lovely lady at a light house that I may have spoken of in the last blog that told us of this place and said it was a great place to collect sea glass.  Boy was she right!!  We sat on the shore and fingered through the sandy rocks and found a bunch!  I bet you can all visualize some crazy art project in the future!


So here we are on the ferry.  We have only been on little ferries and one other car ferry from Ireland to England and they were nothing like this cruise ship.  Super comfortable seats with 1000s of your closest friend near by.  At night it was a snoring symphony, and you can be your bottom dollar that we will try our best to get a sleeping room.  It really wasn't so bad, but a room will be better


1st stop was of course a disc golf course.  No pictures because I didn't go along.  Gnats everywhere and I was not up for that after a pretty sleepless night.  Dick however suffered through it and was soaked from the humidity and was swatting bugs that were not even there.  Even into the night and almost killed me.  Just kidding!! Met up at an Airbnb in Lewisporte Newfoundland with our friends and began our Newfie experience.  Great place on the river and a great space to spread out and laugh a bunch.  We could not have found a better bunch to travel with!



Lobster is a thing here so when in Rome...........



Somehow I think Gary always wanted to be a cowboy!! 


Well, we ordered up 8 lobsters to be pick up on our way back from other adventures and had a feast later.        


I think this next picture is a replica of the fish that may roam the waters here. It looks awfully evil! No wonder no one is ever swimming in the waters.  


I think we finally did it!  We took a selfie that looks good!



After ordering the lobsters we headed to a light house that had some pretty cool trails around to walk on and some beautiful views.  I of course did not hike any trails because as you know hiking is just walking with a chance of death and I am not ready for Dick to push me over the cliff.


Dick on the other hand takes all the chances he can to escape me!  Just kidding.  We celebrated our 39th anniversary this week and if we have put up with each other for that long we might as well continue on down the road for more adventures.



Lobster time!!  Oh so pretty!!




We all took a walk on this bridge, and it led to somewhere, but we are not sure where.  All kinds of OHV trails on this island and there were a few on this trail.  There used to be trains in Newfoundland but they became extincted when perhaps the salty air rusted them to death.  This is what I beleive and I am sticking with it. 


We checked out a Salmon center and learned a lot on how they are helping them up the river through this laddering system.  I would imagine this is way safer that slapping their poor bodies against rocks on the way up.  Anyway....way cool!


Driftwood art!  Yippee 


So this is part of the ladder system and they jump up to different pool then move on.  At the top left of this picture you can see that this guy was an over achiever and was trying to impress us by almost jumping out!  Crazy stuff right there!!


They had a viewing of one of the holding tank.  They try to count every fish going through this system.   We wanted to see how they count and in the far corner of a room behind a door was a guy with a little clicker watching a monitor.  Stone age technology!  Now that was really crazy.  I am sure he will have arthritis of the thumb when he gets old.




We went to a dinner show and stopped at the Canadian Legion for a cocktail before hand.  It was a great show put on by highschoolers.  Singing all the greatest country hit by women. Now as you may know country is not my jam, but it was a great performance from such youngsters.


There are giant squid attacking the shore here and they look like Pam and I!  Freaky resemblance!



Perhap these funny looking squid love the iceberg that we saw just a floating out there all alone.  

Took a little hike to a waterfall after iceberg viewing and someone got a good picture of Roger and Dick.  We all shared our pictures and hopefully my friends do have theirs copy written and sue me later for posting on the WWW. (That's World Wide Web in case you forgot the old terminology) 


Wasn't the best waterfall I have ever seen but a great little hike with a bunch of stairs that didn't (but almost did) kill me.


The next time you see an iceberg you should have an Iceberg beer.  It's a light lager but decent.


Line does handstand wherever she goes!  Great balance this women has!  if I did that, I would surely fall to my death.  Now I know the ground isn't that far to fall but is the where that she is doing them that would cause death.


The gang rented a house that was for 6 only, so we got a B & B close by that was quite lovely and had great comfort and great breakfast. We felt so left out not having the fun of sharing one bathroom with everyone!!




Kathy and Linda have begun what may be a new trend. Photo shopped head stands!  Dang convincing if you ask me.


What over 70s person doesn't want to jump on a blob.  I'm just an over 60s person and I sure as hell am not going to kill myself. No body died but I would probably pull a hammy and be in pain for days.  I am as you know a sissy la la!!


We took a walk about in Cornerbrook and took pictures at the sign. 




We at lunch at a brewery with this little old lady (a.k.a. Pam) in her napkin babushka.  I might have to use this picture for her profile picture in my contacts!!


Bringing back the train??


Walked about another little town and some went down to the beach. Kathy wanted to put her feet in the Atlantic ocean because she never had. It is not as treacherous a trail as Gary makes it look!


We all took a 2 hour tour on a boat through a fjord.  Now I don't have to go to Norway!  Ok, I still want to go to Norway!!  It was a great tour, and we were so luck it didn't turn into a 3 hour tour where the weather started getting rough, and our tiny ship was tossed. The courage of our fearless crew brought us back safely.  The guided tour was amazing, telling us of the history. the rock formation and anything else they could muster up.  Singing and spooning was great too.





The picture below was not pointed out but it sure looks like some little guy holding a ring saying "my precious"



I pretty much didn't have to walk about the vessel because I had a great view from the get go.  Of course I didn't want to lose my spot and have to stand the whole time.  



Kathy and Gary spooning!


Watched another beautiful sunset.


More photo shopping


Headed to Gander for the Broadway show Come from Away.  The story of how the town of Gander welcomed airplanes from around the world when air space was shut down after 911.  An awesome performance that everyone should see.




Like those people of the 60s cramming into a VW bug. we crammed into Roger and Lindas room waiting for all of ours to be finished getting cleaned.
Off to the bar to drink more & eat more.  I have gained a million pound this trip!



A piece of the world trade center in Gander.


Another adventure to Chance Cove.  Daphne & Renes place!  They were so accommodating.  We all went fishing for cod (at different times of course) and all caught big fish that we had to clean and fillet for our fish fry dinner.  I did not clean or fillet.  Did I feel bad about this? Hell no!  Remember I am a isssy la la and not going to tough blood and just on purpose.  Thank you to all who cleaned so I could enjoy.   OK I feel a little bad.
 


One of the boat loads of fisher people through the monocular on
the porch.














It was quite a haul and everyone dressed up like fisher people.  I think that Linda pulled it off the best!

Off to see what Dildo is all about.  That is the name of the town.  We went for a walk about and to the brewery for.....you guessed it, more beer and food.  Of course everyone bought some Merch. Who doesn't want to wear something that says Dildo on it?!




I loved the way they built their boat landings.


Big sign on the hill side!




We all needed to become honorary Newfies so there is this thing they call a screeching where you dress up like a fisherperson, are sworn in with many word we could not repeat, drink this liquid that is pretty tasty in between word, and kiss a cod on its fish lips. Oh and you get a certificate that is very important.  The guy told us we wouldn't need a license, passport or any other identification to leave the island or return.  It worked as you will see in a picture below. AND kissing a fish is not so bad if you make that selfie kissy face that's all the rage with narcissistic girls these days.  OK that was mean but true.  Fun was had by all and now all we have to do is show our certificate to get into the Canadian party back home.


Evidence of Dick helping cook!  This doesn't happen often mostly because he could ruin a pot of boiling water! When I do die, somebody make sure he eats please.



Master of all Screeching!  Guy on his left we saw on the way home from Newfoundland. Small world.




Our lovely hosts for the days we were there.  Daphne & Rene!  


Spent our last night in St John NL. Our Airbnb was not ready so we stopped by the regatta (walked downhill through a cemetery to get to there then walked 5000 miles to the downtown to eat and drink then walked 8000 miles uphill to the Airbnb when it was time.  I slept well that night for sure.  It was another rental for only 6 but they snuck us in and we crashed on the couches.  It may not have been comfortable it I hadn't walked 13,000 miles.  Truely it was great to spend the last night with friends.  Just ignore my whining. It all really just a bit of over dramatization as you know if you've read all of my fabulous writings.




On the ferry back we got a sleeping room with private bath and comfortable beds.  The symphony of snoring was not heard one bit.  We saw ton of jumping fish. Dolphins of sorts. Met some great people, listened to live music and drank some more.  I do have one question for all the French people I know....Why do you have 7 words for a 4 word sentence in English?  & on top of that the blind have twice as many braille bumps to read.


Our trip around the Rock (as they call it)  Our rock in America is way different (Alcatraz)


On to more Canadian adventure for the next blog!  As always.....ignore the spelliing and grammer!!

If the people don't find you intelligent at least they find you funny.
(my version of Red Greens saying, which is If the women don't find you handsome at least they find you handy)









 


1 comment:

  1. Loved the pictures and ALL the fun and laughter you had with friends! Thanks for sharing! Don’t stop, keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete